Our soul project, #IntensiveGOOD, inspired by Marinus, Mirel’s angel child, is born from pain to bring relief. Inspired by Marinus’s daily struggles for 5 years, by the care needs that Mirel encountered, when they were not in the hospital but at home, motivated by the experience with the medical equipment that gave them precious time and tamed the pain, we launched this project in July 2021. To relieve the physical pain that are too big and difficult for small bodies to bear, to give them time without suffering, for peace of mind, for a life a little better and easier to lived.
#IntensiveGOOD addresses children with oncological conditions or other serious diseases, who live their days in a bed, depend, totally or partially, on the help of their parents, cannot walk, eat, breathe on their own. It is obvious that these little heroes need special care (as well) at home, after/between hospitalizations.
We thought the project would do #IntensiveGOOD for children with an oncological diagnosis, but also for children suffering from a serious/incurable disease, wherever they are. We have no restraint to cross any road, no matter how long and difficult, to “deliver” the good to a child and their parents. We do not leave their home until we are convinced that they have learned how to use all medical equipment correctly. A child may need one, two, more or all of the equipment. We establish the need for these together with the parents and always we respect the child’s attending physician recommendation.
Parents are amazed to learn that there is no time limit, that the equipment stays with them as long as they are useful. Only when they tell us to go and get them, we make our way to their house, pick them up, take them to the headquarter to be sterilized, then we start on our way to another child and his parents who called us “help “. And so on.
The #IntensivGood project – Home therapy units is a unique project in Romania and has two components:
2. Volunteer-based human support from the child’s community:
- Psychological assistance
- Educational support
- Other identified needs
|· has a restful sleep, the therapy bed is maneuverable, it can be raised/lowered, with the help of the remote control, as the child’s body needs, either only the part that supports the head, or only the part of the legs, depending on the need that the child has at a certain moment. Rest is very important in the recovery process, we all know that during sleep the body recovers.
• breathe better, thanks to the maneuverable bed that allows the child to have the most correct body position necessary for normal breathing, and when the doctor recommends, the child can use the portable oxygen concentrator to supplement the need for air.
• Vital signs are monitored thanks to the vital functions monitor, which displays the parameters non-stop and sounds a warning when and if something is wrong and what the problem is.
|· The child is fed better, can be brought to the vertical position necessary for good food ingestion. The anti-bedsore mattress protects the skin against the appearance of pressure ulcers due to the long time spent in bed or, if they already exist, prevents them from getting worse and helps to heal them, with the help of the anti-bedsore creams that we “deliver” together with the equipment.
• personal hygiene can be done easily, with low effort, in bed, also thanks to the maneuverable bed, but also with the help of the professional waterless bathroom spray, waterproof washcloths and professional wet wipes, without often painful trips to the bathroom
• can leave the four walls of the room for a walk with the help of the wheelchair, can participate in various public events, can meet his friends.
|• they take care better and more efficiently, give up pillows that supported the child’s body and had to be repositioned all the time
• the effort they have to put into care will be smaller: they will not have back pain due to bending over the bed when they feed, wash, put the child to sleep, the bed can be raised to the desired level
• better psychological comfort, knowing that their children are well
|• a bit of peace of mind thanks to the vital functions monitor that alerts you when and if there are problems and what they are
• a bit of time for them and the rest of the family
• a carefree sleep, parents can sleep better, knowing that they will hear the monitor’s alarm, but also have time to ask for specialized help
• better physical comfort, parents sleep alone in their bed, next to the child who sleeps in the therapy bed, without worrying about disturbing him in his sleep
We will never stop saying how grateful we are to the #GoodPeople who have supported us during this time and without whom, we are sure, we would not have been able to purchase 14 Home Therapy Units, in details, this means like this:
We know that the above numbers may seem small compared to the thousands of children with incurable/severe illnesses in our country, but we suggest you also think about our perspective gained this year since we “deliver” #IntensiveGood:
L children with serious/incurable diseases are generally invisible to society, they are classified as “difficult to recover” or ” unrecoverable”
J 99% of those we met are not supported by any other NGO
L the state does not settle their monthly costs of pampers, diapers, special creams, medicines, hospital trips, etc.
L the state very rarely settles the cost for renting medical equipment
L the cost of purchasing such equipment is high enough to be affordable for us to purchase more in a short period of time, a single therapy unit costs around 6,500 euros.
Knowing all these unfriendly factors, we strive to cover as many needs as possible of the child, but also of the family, because it is necessary for the family, as a whole, to be as well as possible, so that the sick child can be cared for as well as possible.
Covering as many needs as possible means more money allocated to a family, thus resulting in fewer children being helped.
Our fundamental principle is to help a child/family as much as possible rather than helping too little and not making a difference in their life.
How can you help?
Every good deed is put together, so we have some ideas to collect many deeds to build #IntensiveGood.